Sunday, November 27, 2011

George Kenney: "Podcast Interview: Lord Robert Skidelsky, Keynes Biographer" @ Electric Politics

Dear Michael,

I really hope you like this one. Part of its charm, I think, is that we madly stammer at each other -- proving that I'm not the only one who speaks this way in certain situations! :)

Lord Skidelsky, or Robert, as he graciously allowed, understands John Maynard Keynes and Keynesian economics better than most economists, having written the definitive biography of Keynes. The book we refer to here is a more recent synopsis/application in light of the current crisis.

My only frustration with this interview is that it is much too short: Robert was literally out the door for a meeting with the Chancellor of the Exchequer and could not delay. An hour with him, or more, would have been ideal but I'm still happy to settle for half an hour. Hopefully, when his next book is published I'll be able to interview him again and have more time -- and then venture into more strategic questions about the wisdom and even the possibility of endless economic growth…

I managed, btw, to ask him a question about the nature of money and, all too briefly, have my suspicions confirmed. I'm still working on finding a guest to talk about what money is, and hope to have that arranged in January.

With this podcast the season is over for the year. I'll resume production mid-January 2012 but haven't yet decided exactly when. I'll post advance notice, however, on the EP site.

Stay safe, have a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, and a wonderful holiday season.

All the best!

No comments: