AFTER THANKSGIVING: GIVING
Lawrence City Hall, Commission Meeting Room, 6 East 6th St., Lawrence, KS 66044
Wednesday, 2 December 2015,
City Hall, Commission Meeting Room, 6 East 6th St., Lawrence KS 66044
At the last meeting, the Pedestrian-Bicycle Task Force discussed a recommendation for an advisory board, sidewalk costs and funding, and a preliminary Task Force Report to the City Commission. This meeting agenda entails writing a final draft of the Task Force Report with the help of a meeting facilitator. The task force will review current bicycle plans and recommendations, prioritize construction projects, review City pedestrian-bicycle policies, develop a vision and a purpose, and determine how best to achieve greater dedicated annual funding. More info can be found at their web page - Pedestrian and Bicycle Task Force.
Thursday, 3 December 2015,
Inside the store, 1832 Massachusetts St., Lawrence KS 66044
Bioneers presents “Earth Justice: Corporate Rights vs. the Rights of Nature”, with Michael Linzey and Mari Margil. The people in the communities we work with recognize that the structure of law was never intended to protect the environment but, instead, to regulate its exploitation. They recognize that, in order to change the existing structure of law, a movement for nature’s rights is necessary, and it’s time we heard their voices and joined their cause.
Monday, 7 December 2015, - locally produced Eco-Radio KC
The EcoRadioKC program will feature another of their ecologically minded topics.
Wednesday, 9 December 2015,
Carnegie Building Conference Room, 200 West 9th St., Lawrence KS 66044
The December agenda is not yet available. The Lawrence Pedestrian Coalition is a joint effort of the Lawrence Association of Neighborhoods and the League of Women Voters. Monthly meetings are open to the public. For more info go toLawrence Pedestrian Coalition, or contact Erin Paden <email@example.com>.
Energy investors stepping in where global governments may not reach agreement.
We suggest readers avail themselves of the following sources for news on the demise of nuclear power: Japan for Sustainability, Japan Focus, Fukushima Update, and Fairewinds Associates.
Monday, 14 December 2015,
The Food Policy Council seeks to identify the benefits, challenges and opportunities for a successful, sustainable local food system. By advising the Douglas County Commission on public policies that will support local producers,preserve local agricultural resources and land, and create more local jobs, the F.P.C. hopes to improve the community's access to a local food supply and distribution networks. For more info go to Dg County Food Policy Council.
Wednesday, 16 December 2015,
UMKC School of Medicine, Theatre C, 2411 Holmes Street, KC MO - $$
Thursday, 17 December 2015, 6:30pm
Local Solutions for Transition to a Sustainable Economy
Planned discussion topics:
- single use bag restriction in Lawrence
- 2016 Program Work Plan
- 2016 Annual meeting planning
- 2016 Community Foundation grants
- EPA air monitoring grant
- reusable bag logo design competition
- silent auction fund raiser
- website restoration
Monday, 21 December 2015,
Parks & Recreation Conference Room, 1141 Massachusetts St., Lawrence KS 66044
The December agenda is not yet available. The Bicycle Advisory Committee works to improve bicycle safety and awareness through education of motorists and non-motorists, develops bicycle plans and maps, and advises the City and County Commission on bicycle priorities and needs. The agenda and information can be downloaded at Bicycle Advisory Committee.
, , AND
curbside, Lawrence KS
Christmas "tree-cycling" of live-cut trees will take place on two Mondays at your curbside. Remove all artificial items including tinsel, lights, and tree stand, and have the tree by the curb or in the alley by . For more info call 832-3030 or visitwww.LawrenceRecycles.org.
In Lawrence there are several opportunities to take your money from the big box consumer mills that are undermining our local economy, and instead buy from local producers and craftspersons, and fair-trade providers.
Saturday, 5 December 2015,
Prairie Moon Waldorf School, 1853 E. 1600 Road, Lawrence KS 66044 (1/2 mile E. of airport)
This is a delightful annual sale of lovingly crafted toys and crafts made entirely from natural materials. A silent auction will feature special items in the faire. There also will be hard to find books on Waldorf education, child rearing, biodynamic agriculture, Anthroposophy, and Rudolf Steiner, the founder of Waldorf education. There will be local food and performances by local musicians. Prairie Moon Waldorf School.
HOLIDAY ART FAIR - LAWRENCE ART GUILD
Saturday, 5 December 2015,
Lawrence Art Center, 940 New Hampshire St., Lawrence KS 66044
A local tradition for over 30 years, the Lawrence Art Guild's annual Holiday Art Fair is a good place to find unique creative gifts this holiday season. This year's fair features over 30 Kansas artists, and live music from area musicians.
HOLIDAY FARMERS' MARKET
Saturday, 12 December 2015,
Lawrence Holidome, McDonald Drive at 2nd Street, Lawrence KS 66044
The Lawrence Farmers Market Annual Holiday Market features local producers and craftspersons, and fair-trade providers. Artisan foods, seasonal produce, holiday crafts, etc. are available at the Holiday Market, a local alternative to the big box consumer mills that are undermining our local economy. Lawrence Holiday Market.
We welcome suggestions for Newsletter items. Please send items to
Join the Sustainability Action Network by clicking this link > > Become a Member of Sustainability Action, and when there follow the instructions.
The Sustainability Action Mission is to bring awareness of the global crisis caused by climate change, energy vulnerability and economic instability to communities in the Kansas River bioregion, and the tools needed to re-skill and re-localize our economy, and create a more socially just and ecologically sustainable world.
Sustainability Action Programs include:
1) Food Sovereignty & Permaculture - local control of food and food policy, Food Not Lawns workshops, tours, and crop mobs.
2) Bicycles and Alternative Transportation - promoting bicycles, complete streets, ride sharing, and electric vehicles, including infrastructure and pro-active regulations
3) Local Community Currency - fostering money literacy, and implementing a local currency through a buy-local campaign, and then introducing a complementary currency of cash or electronic trading.
4) Sustainability Action Newsletter - informing and encouraging people to be active in the Sustainability Action Network, or other action-driven groups.
5) Energy Conservation & Renewables - reducing our carbon footprint by promoting a carbon diet, an energy diet, conservation, and decentralized renewable energy.
6) Prime Farmland Preservation - protecting Capability I & II farmland from urban development and industrial land uses.
7) Water Rights & Watersheds - Protecting the water commons from privatization and contamination, and restoring watersheds.
8) Collaboration with Sister Organizations - building synergy with the combined talents and creativity of like-minded groups to achieve ecological sustainability. Groups like: the Dg County Food Policy Council, the Lawrence Pedestrian Coalition,Cultivate Kansas City, the Light Center eco village, the Lawrence Fruit Tree Project, and the Flint Hills Renewable Energy & Efficiency Co-op.
Sustainability Action sponsored organizations:
1) Lawrence Creates - Maker space with tool sharing, recycling, and community shared innovation incubator - Lawrence Creates
2) Diesel Health Project - promoting eco-justice in neighborhoods exposed to industrial air and water pollution, by monitoring the pollution and changing policies and enforcement - Diesel Health Project
To subscribe to this newsletter, please click this link > > Subscribe to the Sustainability Action Newsletter. enter your name and e-mail address, and follow the instructions. The system will send you a confirmation message with a"Confirmation Link" which you MUST click in order to complete your subscription confirmation. If you don't get the confirmation message, check in your junk mail folder for blocked as spam.