Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Sen. Sam Brownback's Response to Impeachment Letter

Senator Sam reads from the rules book and responds to my demand for impeachment investigations of inquiry.

Dear Mr. Caddell:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the impeachment process. I appreciate hearing from the people whom I serve. The Constitution vests the power to impeach in the House of Representatives and the power to try articles of impeachment in the Senate. Impeachment proceedings may be commenced in the House of Representatives by a Member declaring an article of impeachment on his or her own initiative, by a Member presenting a list of charges under oath, or by a Member introducing a resolution, which is then referred to the House Judiciary Committee. Within the Committee, an investigation is conducted to determine whether the public official involved has engaged in treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors. A vote to impeach by the House requires a simple majority of those present and voting, upon satisfaction of quorum requirements. If the House votes to impeach, the Senate then conducts a trial on the improved articles of impeachment. A conviction on an article of impeachment requires a two-thirds vote of those Senators present.

The impeachment process can have significant and far-reaching consequences. Thus, impeachment proceeding should not be proposed merely for political gain, but should be based on fact and a true belief that the public official involved has engaged in treason, bribery or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this important issue. You are the reason that I am here, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance and feel free to visit my website at brownback.senate.gov for information on the issues on which I am working.

Sincerely,

Sam Brownback

United States Senator

No comments: